Monday, July 4, 2011

I love a man in uniform

After not going to the parade, and not attending the Stadium of Fire, we made our way through the endless booths at the county building. Where do they come up with all these weidos, there a dime a dozen! I was begining to feel like a pair of brown shoes in a tuxedo shop. We tired of that place pretty fast so we went home and jumped in the Spitfire. I felt like going up to Midway. There was a fair amount of traffic coming down the canyon but going up we almost had the road to ourselves. What a great day for a drive! It was overcast and it made for nice viewing in all directions. As we entered Midway we noticed the "Timp Freeze" hambuger shop there on main street. We stood in line for a cone, I had chocolate and Sally had vanilla. Parked right in front of us was a 1961 VW bug in excellant condition. It took me back to the good ol' college days in 1971 when after my mission to Ireland, I bought my first car, a 1961 VW, from my Grandfathers lot for $275. I sold it back to them a year later for $300, and bought a 1965 Chevy Malibu SS which I traded for my first Spitfire, I fell in love with British cars. Tonight we are going to Pleasant Grove for their fireworks show. It will complete the 4th of July celebrations for this year. I must say though, the thing that made it for me was when I saw ex-Marine Galan come into church in his full dress uniform. It made me proud, and I told him so later. What a debt we have to these brave men who put their lives on the line for our freedom. I hope I never take them for granted or forget the contribution they have made to the cause of freedom. See you on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment