Thursday, April 28, 2011

All gassed up and ready to go!

Here goes! This is my first attempt at blogging. I don't know exactly what I am doing but I guess I can't screw it up too much; so I will forge ahead. My whole idea in doing this was an attempt to share some of my travels in my 1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500. This is similar to the Triumph I had when I was courting my wife Sally. We met in August of 1974. Not long afterwards I bought a 1968 Triumph Spitfire GT6+. This was a car of my dreams! I drove it across the country in 1975 with my brother Gary. We were on a big adventure to sell bibles to the good "bible thumping" people of up-state New York. I was disappointed to find that most of them had already heard of the bible and actually owned a copy. Needless to say it was not the financial bonanza I was promised by the recruiters. So after I earned enough gas money to get home I threw my duffel bag into the hatchback and started to pull out of the driveway. My room mate, who was also a bible salesman was all excited and kept telling me I couldn't leave. I said, as I pulled away "just keep your eyes on my tail lights and see if I don't!" I was off to find my brother Gary who had started hitch hiking home five hours before from another city. I knew I had a lot of catching up to do so I picked up a hitch hiker myself so I could stay awake for the long night of driving ahead. I found my brother in Nashville early the next morning sitting on the top of the back seat in a convertible with four women. I had to give him a "10" for style points. We reunited and made our way west with our little hitch hiker friend in the back of the Spitfire. We had a lot of memorable experiences but I will have to save those for another time. Needless to say I have had a lot of time behind the wheel of a Triumph and enjoyed every minute so far! I enjoy taking it out for a spin as often as time permits. The road and scenery look so much different to me when I am rolling along 6 inches off the pavement. It's great to feel the wind blowing through what is left of my hair and the sounds of the motor as I go through the gears! I will try and post pictures and tell about the places we visit. So come along it's going to be a fun ride!

2 comments:

  1. That's a really funny story, especially the part about giving Gary a 10 for style points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Gary! loved the story keep on driving!

    ReplyDelete