Saturday, June 11, 2011

Memory Lane

After having my usual at the Taco Shop, Sally and I decided to take a little cruise in the Spitfire. We made our way through town and ended up going to Provo canyon. The air started to cool a bit once we got in the canyon so Sally had to put on her hoody. I decided to tough it out and shiver all the way up and down. I found out it's not a good idea to have a large drink and then go for an extented ride in cool air. It has just the opposite effect of being asked for a sample at the doctors office.
Anyway, we stopped at Bridal Veil Falls for a while and just took it all in. The falls is really full right now and very spectacular. I don't think there could be a better setting for a falls than right there. The rock formations are amazing. It makes me want to see how those massive layers of granite were molded. What power could do that? Well I know, but I would like a geologist to try and explain it. We used to go up the all the time when the kids were young and the lodge was still there. When Sarah and Rachel were young we took them up the gondola to the top. this also has that same effect I mentioned earlier coupled with white knuckle fear of heights. We spent many Sunday afternoons feeding the fish in the river below. I would like to be the fish food vendor in those days, $.50 for a small handful of "trout chow"! What a rip-off! Sometimes we would bring our old stale bread, the heels that no one would eat. We continued further up the canyon to Vivian Park, named for Luciel Ball's side kick who fell in the river there during a filming of the "I Love Lucy" show. No, not really, I made that up, but it is better than what probably happened. Likely named for some over weight, middle aged blue hair that chain smoked and had her curlers in her hair until 3 in the afternoon everyday. We made our way up to South Fork to the camp sites and then came back down. It was nice to get back in the warm air of the valley. We stopped on Center street to watch some vultures come in but they were already up for the night, so we came home. See you next time.

1 comment:

  1. I think Vivian was probably a very gorgeous woman that was loved by all. She fed the vagrants who road the train through the canyon and needed work. She may have lived in one of the sweet cabins that line the road all the way through South Fork. :)

    ReplyDelete