Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Last Ride

 It was kind of bitter sweet. Yesterday afternoon I came home early from work so I could relax some before the big wedding day got started. I was a bit tired and thought of taking a nap with my ipod on, but it was a gorgeous day and I had time to fire up the Spitfire for an abbreviated ride. Sean was home, which is rare because he is usually at the gym when he has some extra time. This is why his body type and mine are a bit different! So I asked him if he wanted to take a ride in the Spitfire. To my surprise he said yes, "lets go get a drink", which is code for going to Maverik and getting a drink! I was a little taken back because he has never had an interest in going with me in the Spitfire. We climbed in and went to Maverik and got a soda, and a little gas because the fuel gauge on the Spitfire has mind of it's own, and it's better to be safe than sorry. We cruised out to 1860 south and then took the old road that goes to Springville. I pulled over after a short distance and asked Sean if he wanted to drive. He said yeah! I know this is out of character for me because this is like a  mom giving the newborn to a novice. I was a little nervous, but he did real good! He didn't kill it one time! I don't think I was that good on my first try, must be in the genes. We cruised along and then it dawned on me, we were taking our last ride together as father and single son. Later today he was becoming a man and taking on new responsibilities and challenges. He would not stay at my home tonight. I can't say good morning to him everyday, we can't have those spontaneous talks that spring up at odd times. I will miss not having him around. We had some private words back and forth about the future and then we steered for home again. He even pulled it all the way into the garage up the steep driveway. He's a natural. Later we made our way to the wedding. It was a perfect day in many ways. The weather was grand, the venue was awesome, the bride was beautiful, the groom was handsome, and we had the pleasant company of friends and relations. It could not have been better, and  I was so proud of my son, and feel so blessed to have Tiffany for my daughter in law. I know he will be a great husband and a father someday, and she a great wife and mother. I give them my love and wish them every success and happiness. A good time was had by all.

1 comment:

  1. Awe...this is a cute post. I like that you and Sean cruised around in the Spitfire before the big wedding. What a good send-off ;)

    ReplyDelete